Voigtlander announced a new 50mm F2 APO-Lanthar in E-mount.
|Filter Thread||49 mm|
|Weight (no hood, no caps)||364g|
|Close Focusing Distance from the sensor||0.45 m|
|Number of aperture blades||12|
The recommended price in Japan is ¥ 120,000 which is equal to about $1100. For comparison: The Voigtlander 1.2/50 has a recommended price of ¥ 150,000 and sells for $1099 so I would expect a price around $1000.
The official release date is December 2019.
- official page
- A few low resolution samples
- Japanese Video demonstrating several optical qualities.
- interview (in Japanese) with the optical designer behind the 2/50 APO.
Our praise for the optical performance of the 2/65 APO and 2.5/110 APO was very high indeed. The published MTF look phenomenal but we are not sure if they are comparable to Zeiss’ MTFs. The only real issue with both macros have is that their weight and size makes them less ideal as everyday lenses. And the 2/50 addresses that.
So this sounds like a really interesting lens for those who want a lens well suited for a 61MP sensor. We expect the Voigtlander to outperform any other current 50mm lens in terms of sharpness across the frame and CA-correction. For now that is just a guess but I think it is a safe one based on the performance of the other two APO-Lanthars.
One interesting question is how the bokeh will compare to less well corrected lenses like Voigtlander’s own 1.2/50 which has excellent bokeh.
We will try get out hands on one as soon as possible which will probably be in December.
Latest posts by Phillip Reeve (see all)
- Voigtlander 50mm F2 APO-Lanthar announced - October 4, 2019
- Beginner’s Guide to Manual Lenses on the Sony a7 - September 28, 2019
- A look into Phillip’s camera bag – September 2019 Edition - September 23, 2019